Green Frog Connect acted as the Independent Connection Provider for this 12.5MW wind farm generation plant, undertaking the design and construction of the electricity grid connection contestable works. The project included a 5MW radial connection and a 7.5MW radial connection to the Northern Powergrid distribution network.
Location: County Durham
Project length: Seven months
Client: Airvolution Energy Ltd
Key client benefits
- Completed on time, allowing the client to meet their RoC tariff deadline.
- On budget and achieved a significant saving compared to the DNO offer.
The project comprised of the excavation and laying of two 11kV cables and telecommunication cables in a common trench from Northern Powergrid’s 66/11kV Substation to the 11kV Metered Ring Main Units, housed in the intake substation situated on the wind farm. Our services covered the design and installation of new 11kV apparatus for the Contestable Works, comprising:
- The design and installation of the 11kV substation layout.
- The 11kV switchgear and ancillary apparatus.
- Earthing design of the 11kV substation.
- The design of the 11kV cable systems and protection systems.
Located in County Durham, the greenfield site is surrounded by private agricultural land and woodland areas, and it was necessary for a short section of the cable route to pass under a river. Green Frog Connect installed this cabling in ducts using Directional Drilling techniques.