Project length: Two phases, each comprising seven months
Client: Viridis 178 Ltd
Key client benefits
- We completed the highest risk element of the project – a dual directional drill under the A52 in central Nottingham for the electricity connection – on time and under budget. The A52 is critical national infrastructure operated by Highways England. Whilst installing the duct for Phase A, the opportunity was taken to install a second duct for Phase B, despite it being a speculative development at the time, saving the client more than £100,000 on Phase B.
- The project completed on time, ahead of the winter period, allowing the client to earn valuable income during times of high electricity demand and to provide support to the local and national electricity networks.
- Project completed under budget.
The project was constructed in two phases, each taking seven months. Phase A (20MW) and Phase B (20MW) each have their own 33kV connection to Western Power Distribution, as well as their own connection to the local Intermediate Pressure (IP) gas network. Our services comprised:
- The design and construction of the electricity grid connection contestable works. Two 20MW tee-off connections to the WPD distribution network.
- The design and construction of the balance of plant, including switchgear, transformers, power cabling systems, SCADA/control system, the auxiliary power system and a security system.
- The design and construction of the civil works including ground works, reinforced concrete structures, fencing and access roads.
The installation and commissioning of the 27 GE Jenbacher Generator Sets, and the gas connections, were undertaken by Green Frog Genovate and Green Frog Gas Utilities respectively. Green Frog Trading now dispatch the plant to ensure Capacity Market events are met, and also operates on the open market providing power at times when renewable generation is low, and/or when demand is high.