This brownfield site in Gloucestershire was constructed in one phase and has its’ own 33kV connection to Western Power Distribution. With a total site export capacity of 40MW, the gas-fired generation site has its own connection to the local High Pressure (HP) gas network.
Project length: Nine months
Client: Viridis 178 Ltd
Key client benefits
- Worked closely with all stakeholders to complete a directional drill under the River Severn and a major oil pipeline crossing on budget and on time.
- Developed an innovative solution to deal with asbestos when it was unexpectedly found on site, resulting in no cost impact for the client.
- The design and construction of the electricity grid connection contestable works, including a single 40MW tee-off connection to the Western Power Distribution 33kV network.
- The design and construction of the balance of plant, including switchgear, transformers, power cabling systems, SCADA/control system, the auxiliary power system and a security system.
- The design and construction of the civil works including ground works, reinforced concrete structures, fencing and access roads.
The installation and commissioning of the 27 GE Jenbacher Generator Sets, and the gas connections, were undertaken by Green Frog Genovate and Green Frog Gas Utilities respectively. The site is now dispatched by Green Frog Trading to ensure Capacity Market events are met, and also operates on the open market providing power at times when renewable generation is low, and/or when demand is high.