Green Frog Connect were the appointed designer, Independent Connections Provider and Principal Contractor for this project, which was the first gas fuelled power station to be connected under the government’s new capacity market.
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
Project length: Five months
Client: Green Frog Power
Key client benefits
- First of its kind project for the client delivered on time and budget.
The grid connection was via two connection points on the WPD 11kV network, with the cable terminating in a new substation at The Drove Power Station. A constraining device, with radio communications apparatus was installed and provide a volt free contact to a trip G59/2 relay. Our services included:
- EPC contractor for the design and construction of the power plant.
- Design, Project Management and Construction for the new contestable works.
- Installation of 11kV metering substation.
- Associated jointing, excavation and cable pulling works.
- Project Management of non-contestable works.
This project included the first active management constraint scheme connected to the WPD network at 11kV, to maintain network security and to prevent thermal limits, voltage limits or power quality limits from being exceeded. Green Frog Trading now dispatch the plant to ensure Capacity Market events are met, and also operates on the open market providing power at times when renewable generation is low, and/or when demand is high.